Monday, May 01, 2006

I wish I could take good pictures.

http://www.abeautifulrevolution.com/photos/glorious_britannia/index.html

He seems to have a detached and almost hard view of things. Maybe it's the headless people walking or the fact that almost no one in his photos is looking at the camera. None of them seem to be smiling at the guy taking pictures - they seem to be strangers.

I remember feeling detached in London - does everyone? Physically the city seems hard and cold but the people seemed nice enough. I'm not sure if I could say I've been there twice - technically it was two times, but it was bookends for a longer trip that started and ended there. The first time I was there for less than 24 hours. I was completely exhausted and nervous about being in a strange place on my own. I don't know about you, but when I've only had 4 hours worth of sleep in two whole days I get really, really stupid. Knowing that a lack of sleep makes me stupid is makes things worse, too, because I can't trust myself to make any decisions because I know I'm probably making bad ones. So I was tired, nervous and second guessing everything I said or did. I couldn't even figure out how to make a phone call, I had to ask someone else to do it for me. That's how stupid I was that day. But I have to say the people were really very nice (and willing to help a completely crazy and stupid American tourist dial the phone, which was certainly not part of their job description). It was a very surreal day - I just felt completely out of context. And that's how this guy's photos feel to me.

Three strange things in London:

  • Watching the queen on tv giving a speech, hitting the mute button and then being able to actually faintly hear the noise of the crowd cheering in response.

  • Standing inside a small photo developing place watching a big black bird fly around inside, knocking over picture frames and packages of film, while the two people working behind the counter shrieked and flapped their hands. They had no idea how to get it back out the door.

  • The cab driver called me sweetheart. Most people had been avoiding me for the past few days since I was continuously coughing up something nasty and green but he smiled at me, called me sweetheart and put my suitcase in the trunk for me (although he probably would have called it "the boot" or something else). I nearly asked if he'd hug me in exchange for the £20 note I was planning on using to buy exotic English Dramamine and magazines with at the airport.
They're firing a cannon off in front of the capitol building today. We can't figure out why, but it's really loud and makes me jump every time they do it. It's not often that you hear cannon fire around here.

See, I tried to make this more interesting than a vitamin report since people actually are reading this. lol Now you guys all have to get a blog of your own. (except for Erin, who already has one. (and I read it, Erin!)) so there.

    No comments: